Such a simple idea but so loaded with prejudice it just doesn’t get an educated discussion. Too Bad!
Contrary to what some politicians might like you to believe, it is easy to remove most poverty. Simply give poor people, indeed everybody, enough money to subsist. It’s called basic income.
How to pay for it? There are two ways.
1. Pay out of current government moneys
There are many benefits to the economy:
- more economic activity, so more taxes
- less need for benefits, so less government costs
- reduced minimum wage, so more employment, so again more taxes
- less crimes of desperation
- more intelligent behaviour from the poor (yes)
- disincentive to immigration, as would apply to citizens only; there is also less incentive for people to move from other countries with a similar policy
- reduced inequality means reduced discontent with governments
- of course, you would net off against current tax and benefit schedules so that most people were not directly affected and continued to be paid the same as previously
View original post 347 more words